The OEC: The Organisation of Educational Cooperation (OEC) is an international intergovernmental organisation, founded in January 2020 by countries from across the Global South, to “contribute to the equitable, just, and prosperous social transformation of societies by promoting balanced and inclusive education, in order to attain the fundamental rights to liberty, justice, dignity, sustainability, social cohesion, and material and immaterial security for the peoples of the world”.
The main functions of the Department of Technological Innovation and Digitalisation Enhancement (TIDE) are to:
- Develop advanced, open-source, customisable software and digital platforms for Member States that support access to knowledge, the production of learning resources, and more efficient governance;
- Building institutional capacities in technology use and development;
- Reinforce the digital infrastructure of Member States; and
- Support the development of endogenous technologies.
GreSIS: The Greater South Information System (GreSIS) is a digital platform developed by the OEC for use by Member States and Associate Members granting institutional free-of-charge access to references and international academic articles, publications, and endogenous knowledge databases.
GreSIS Lead Project Developer
Headquarters (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia)
Category and Level
T3, Step I (mid-level technical post)
Under the overall authority of the Secretary-General, the guidance of the Under-Secretary-General for TIDE, and the direct supervision of the Chief of Section – Software Research and Development, the GreSIS Lead Project Developer is responsible, in close collaboration with the Department of Research, Evaluation, and Foresight (REEF), for the development and maintenance of the Greater South Information System (GreSIS). This position provides the unique opportunity of joining the core team of a new international organisation, contributing to its lasting construction and influencing its future trajectory.
• In close collaboration with the REEF Department, design and set the Terms of Reference for GreSIS;
• Oversee and coordinate the development work of consultants and other experts working on GreSIS;
• Develop an actionable plan for the development, deployment, and growth of GreSIS;
• Develop a content generation, moderation, and approval system requiring minimal human intervention, in particular through the use of Artificial Intelligence;
• Test, troubleshoot, monitor, and update component versions of GreSIS;
• Run, regulate, and upgrade the system, in particular from end-user feedback;
• Perform other duties as required.
- Ability to analyse technical challenges to identify and communicate actual and potential solutions;
- Excellent communication, planning, and management skills ;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills ;
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and remain effective and composed under pressure;
- Strong collaborative skills.
– A Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other related fields.
– Proven Experience in:
2. No SQL database e.g., Mongodb, Cassandra;
3. Designing, developing and testing integration of software components;
4. Front-end frameworks: Angular, React, Vue.js, Ionic & Cordova, webpack.js;
5. Common third-party APIs (Google, Facebook, etc.);
6. Integrating AI/ Machine Learning and Neural networks solutions;
7. Web applications’ security principles;
8. Object-oriented programming;
9. Hadoop (or similar) Ecosystem (MapReduce, Yarn, HDFS, Hive, Spark, Presto, Pig, HBase);
10. Data exploration / data visualization tools like Tableau, Looker, Chartio, etc.
11. Basics of encryption and cybersecurity
– A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional work experience in software and/or digital platform design, deployment, and maintenance, as well as experience in code cloning.
Candidate must at least be fluent in English. Additional knowledge of one or more other official languages (French, Arabic, Spanish) is an asset.
How to apply
All applications must be sent to HRE@OEC-OCE.ORG and must include:
- Subject line: “TIDE SRD GreSIS – Application”
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Motivation
- Any other relevant information