OPEN END | CDI | ASAP
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
Composed of 120 staff, ACTED’s headquarters are located in Paris to support and mainstream the organization’s interventions worldwide.
You will be in charge of
The Investigation Manager is in charge, under the direction of the ACTED Group Transparency, Compliance and Investigation Director, of managing the Investigation Unit in particular by
• overseeing ACTED’s Transparency hotline and other mechanisms for identifying and reporting potential fraud regarding programs and operations;
• planning, organizing, conducting and managing investigations of cases of alleged fraud or violations of ACTED’s Code of Conduct (CoC) and policies related to compliance issues or in accordance with appropriate professional standards and ACTED’s relevant procedures;
• implementing ACTED’s third party screening process, and of conducting investigations involving, in particular, verification of identities, backgrounds or links between individuals or entities;
• ensuring that lessons learned from investigations are effectively shared internally and that all necessary remediating actions are taken.
a) Oversee the transparency hotline
b) Perform and lead investigations
c) Reporting and lessons learned
a) Verify the process implementation of the third party anti-terrorism screening process consisting in checking the references of third parties with whom ACTED has a contractual relationship in order to ensure that these persons do not appear on the lists of fight against terrorism;
b) Investigate in case of suspected hits;
3) Trainings (anti-fraud sensitization trainings, Investigation methodology, screening process):
a) Develop awareness training materials on anti-fraud and complaint mechanisms in close collaboration with functional departments to enable staff to better prevent and identify potential cases of fraud or breaches of the CoC;
b) Develop training / sensitization materials that encourage third parties (staff, partners, suppliers, etc.) to report suspected cases of fraud, money laundering, conflicts of interest and other improprieties without fear of retaliation;
c) Develop training materials on Investigation methodology for country coordination and the screening process for country coordination and for staff;
d) Provide training sessions on ACTED policies and procedures related to fraud prevention and detection, investigation mechanisms, or conduct in the event of corruption as well as the screening process;
a) Develop ACTED protocols (including policies, procedures, timelines, roles and responsibilities) for communicating the use of the whistleblower hotline and appropriately conducting investigations while respecting the principles of confidentiality, objectivity and impartiality;
b) Provide support on the implementation of ACTED’s Conflict of Interest Prevention Policy; Conduct regular checks on the Conflict of Interest Prevention Policy implementation;
Expected skills and qualifications
- Advanced university degree in Investigations, Law, Criminology, Audit, Accounting, Operations / supply chain or other related fields, or a first level degree with additional years of experience.
- Formal training and/or certification in various law enforcement methodologies/fraud examination or investigation.
- CPA or CIA or CFE is an asset. Experience:
- Years of related experience: four years of specialized experience at the level similar, related, or relevant to the work of this job that has given you particular knowledge, skills, and abilities required to successfully perform.
- Experience in the nonprofit, NGO sectors or grant-supported organizations, regional and international organizations, or the inspector general function within a large government organization;
- Previous experience of managing a whistleblower hotline, investigating of internal fraud, references of third parties, conflict of interests, abuse cases is an asset.
- Experience working with investigation teams in remote locations and insecure environments;
- Experience conducting interviews of witnesses and subjects in multicultural environments;
- Experience examining forensic, financial, and electronic evidence;
- Previous management experience a significant plus;
- Travel to insecure environments required.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrated expertise in theories, concepts and approaches relevant to investigations and practical use of investigation and interviewing techniques.
- Ability to apply good judgment and strategic thinking in the context of internal investigations.
- Excellent English communication skills, including both interpersonal communications and professional/technical writing.
- Experience managing multiple projects and providing direction to team.
- Proficient in Microsoft office technology, with strong Excel data analysis skills.
- Outstanding personal and professional integrity.
- Result oriented, strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Quick learner, highly flexible and adaptive.
- High attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills, particularly in cross-cultural environments
- Collaborative workstyle and approach to supporting country management, as they initiate investigation follow-up.
- Fluency in English language.
- Intermediate knowledge of French.
- Knowledge of Arabic is a strong asset
- Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid depending on education level, expertise – between 2700e and 2900e net per month
- Affiliation to health inssurance
- Food allowance on working days
- 50% of Navigo pass taken in charge
How to apply
Please send your application (CV and letter of motivation) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) including the reference: VETTINGM/HQ
Please note that ACTED will never charge a fee for the recruitment process.