Title: Rapid Response Manager
Location: Remote, anywhere in Canada
Employment status: Temporary full-time, 24-month
Salary band: $60,000 to $88,500/year
Deadline to apply: December 2nd, 2022
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) – one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022 – is seeking Rapid Response Managers.
We are guided by our Fundamental Principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience. Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons who share our values and want to contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply.
As a Rapid Response Manager you will support emergency operations around the world and in Canada in leadership functions. You will manage specific day to day responsibilities to ensure excellence and impact in operations and readiness, and following deployments bring learning and best practices back to Canadian Red Cross.
On this role you will, depending on the emergency context of the deployment:
- As a Leader – Emergency Response Unit
The Team Leader works in collaboration with staff and volunteers, local health authorities and affected communities to deliver emergency health services. The Team Leader is responsible for the Emergency Response Unit contribution to the overall operation, representing the priorities of the Canadian Red Cross and managing a team of technical experts. Typical deployment length is 4-6 weeks.
- As an Operations Manager
The Operations Manager oversees the coordination of support to affected communities and National Red Cross Red Crescent Societies in responding to disasters and crisis events. The position is responsible for managing the successful implementation of the emergency operation and reinforcing local teams. Typical deployment length is 1-3 months.
- As a Field Representative
The Field Representative is the senior Canadian Red Cross representative responsible for ensuring CRC programs are implemented efficiently and effectively in coordination and in cooperation with the affected National Society and the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The position is responsible for the successful delivery of assistance, recovery, and development programs. Typical deployment length is 1-3 months.
- As a Canadian Red Cross support
Support CRC response and readiness activities in Ottawa to implement projects and support specific emergencies requiring their expertise and experience. The position is expected to support trainings where relevant to their subject matter expertise.
- Home Based Duties
Rapid Response Manager is responsible for supporting Red Cross readiness and response projects, to be completed from a home-based office. Assigned to specific technical departments, the position will have oversight on specific files and activities throughout the year, such as coaching and mentoring peers, curriculum development, maintain personal readiness and supporting lessons learned initiatives.
What we are looking for:
- University degree in relevant field, preference for international humanitarian studies, disaster and/or emergency management, project management or equivalent.
- 5 years’ experience working for humanitarian aid organization in emergency response and conflicts contexts in developing countries
- Demonstrated experience in building and maintaining relationships with partners, external actors
- Strong people management skills (ability to mentor, motivate, support teams)
- Problem solver and capable to take decisions and directing others in conditions of uncertainty
- Strong initiative, communication and analytical skills
- Ability to deliver under tight timelines in ambiguous and challenging environments
- Strong financial management skills (ability to develop, manage and monitor budgets)
- Planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting skills
- English is a requirement. Knowledge of French, Spanish or Arabic are assets
- This is a full-time, temporary (24-month) position
- Outside deployments, this home-based position can be performed from anywhere in Canada
- This position requires the ability to travel anywhere in Canada and in the world on short-notice to respond to an humanitarian situation. Deployments represent up to 50% of the working time
- Deployments can occur in difficult and unstable conditions (environmental, physical, social, etc.) and uncomfortable conditions (noise, odours, smoke, humidity, vulnerable clients).
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground).
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
This position is open until filled, however qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Qualified applicants who apply after the selection process has started, may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.