Overview & Responsibilities
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law.
The Reducing the Impact of Insecurity on Afghanistan’s Legal System (RIIALS) program is a multi-year, research and development project. Under the RIIALS program, IDLO aims to build on IDLO’s existing efforts to assist justice service providers such as civil society organizations, legal practitioners, and customary and informal justice actors to help them gain a better understanding of the risks they face when providing justice services and develop appropriate responses. The project will include providing partner institutions with assistance to improve their policies and procedures, and to pilot new interventions. The project aims to: 1) Ensure civil society organizations and other non-state actors in the justice sector understand the impact of contextual insecurity on the provision of justice services; and 2) help ensure non-state justice service providers are prepared to mitigate the effects of insecurity and disruptive events.
The Safety and Security Trainer (hereafter referred to as the Contractor), working under the supervision of the Project Team Manager (PTM), in coordination with the IDLO Legal Capacity Development (LCD) team, will support the RIIALS project in conducting all steps related to the training cycle (to include pre-training, training, and post-training activities), as needed. The Contractor will also be responsible for training trainers within RIIALS partner organizations, this will include developing their knowledge of pre-training, training, and post-training practices and skills. This may include the development of post training coaching and mentoring plans for ongoing skills development and knowledge transfer. This position is for women only.
The Contractor will perform the following duties:
- Assist RIIALS experts and IDLO core teams in conducting needs assessments, as needed.
- Deliver high quality training in line with IDLO training methodology and adult learning principles.
- Organize all aspects of training (from planning to coordination to logistics to implementation). This includes collaborating to arrange logistical arrangements including transportation, meals, and accommodations, for training participants.
- Plan and implement training and coaching activities in coordination with the RIIALS project; and in collaboration with the IDLO support team (Operations, Finance, and Security) to ensure quality and timely delivery of all project targets/deliverables.
- Work closely with the IDLO Monitoring and Reporting (M&R) Team to ensure all training forms (including pre-and post-tests, post-test evaluation forms) are properly assessed, evaluated, maintained, and recorded in a timely fashion.
- Work in partnerships with partner organizations to collaborate on all aspects of trainings of trainers, including development of training plans, training-related materials, guidelines, training supporting documents, and all training coordination and logistics-related activities, as needed.
- Coach personnel within the partner organizations with a view to enable them to independently execute training concepts, deliver training and/or conduct all training-related activities for capacity development purposes.
- Coordinate with relevant departments on all training-related activities.
- Draft timely high-quality training related reports in English.
- Perform any other relevant duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree or equivalent in Law Enforcement, Security Studies, Public Administration, Social Sciences, Public Policy, Law or related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience in producing and facilitating training on security, self-care and stress management related topics.
- This position is restricted to women applicants, only.
- Strong problem solving, conceptual, and analytical skills.
- Ability to research, analyse, and synthesize information, interpret data, retrieve information from databases and clearly and concisely prepare results.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficient use of IT software and the internet.
- Fluency in Pashto and English (required). Knowledge of Dari would be an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to develop solid relationships with key stakeholders and build productive partnerships.
- Experience in applying adult learning principles in a training/capacity development environment.
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability and willingness to travel within Afghanistan.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
Terms & Conditions
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
For this locally recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate a Local Single Engagement Agreement for 6 months.
IDLO is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature, or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
The application deadline is 28 November 2022 (23.59 Hrs. Kabul time)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee/consultant/intern assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the consultancy opportunity to meet business and organizational needs as necessary. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
How to apply
Please make sure you apply to the following link: