DT Global is driven by a fundamental commitment to one goal: to work in partnership with communities, governments, and the private sector to deliver innovative, data-driven solutions that transform lives beyond expectations. DT Global—launched in 2019—is built on legacy companies AECOM International Development’s Services Sector, Development Transformations, IMC Worldwide, and Cardno International Development. To fulfill its profit-for-purpose mission, DT Global is a key donor to the DT Institute, an independent not-for-profit organization, in support of DTI’s efforts to test new ideas or expand on donor partner priorities with the aim to improve as many lives as possible.
Our global team of almost 2,500 staff and experts work in over 100 countries. We aim to maximize sustainable development impact across a wide range of practice areas, including Conflict Prevention, Stabilization & Transition; Economic Growth; Environment & Infrastructure; Governance; and Human Development. We meet communities where they are on the development spectrum and help them move to where they want to be. Together, we bring over 60 years of experience, relationships, and technical excellence to improve lives around the world on behalf of our partners, clients, and stakeholders.
Overview: DT Global is seeking a Vice President, Environment & Infrastructure (VP, E&I) who will serve as a senior leader responsible for providing the vision and leadership for developing and implementing the overall E&I practice strategy, driving revenue generation, overseeing project development and delivery, and strengthening DT Global’s reputation as a thought leader. There are four technical areas under the E&I practice area including: Climate Change, Energy, Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH), Environment and Infrastructure. The VP, E&I reports to the President of DT Global US.
As a member of the DT Global US Senior Management Team (SMT), the VP, E&I supports development and implementation of the overall DT Global US strategy. Working in concert with SMT members and with visibility across all DT Global programs, the VP leverages program synergies, shares lessons learned and best practices, and empowers staff to realize consistent improvement and innovation in project delivery. The VP, E&I is at the forefront of driving business growth in support of the global growth strategy.
The VP, E&I is an experienced international development professional with a comprehensive understanding of project delivery and technical knowledge base grounded in field experience, and a track record of winning new business. Above all, the VP is a self-starter who embraces building and motivating winning teams, demonstrating sound critical judgement in implementing the DT Global US strategy and advancing innovation. The VP, E&I leads by representing and advancing DT Global’s corporate values and culture.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Leadership and Staff Management
- Oversee practice-level implementation of the DT Global strategic plan, global growth strategy and other corporate initiatives;
- Lead the development and execution of the E&I practice strategy, including new business opportunities, project delivery, staff management and thought leadership;
- Support effective communication and develop cohesion across the practice, including creating linkages between home office and field teams, as well as collaborate within the SMT by integrating across sector activities and overall corporate management functions;
- Contribute to the development and enhancement of the DT Global culture, by leading team building activities and creating a collaborative environment that empowers staff to live the values and culture of DT Global each day;
- Periodically evaluate the staffing structure of the E&I team and recommend strategic recruits to the DT Global US President, identify staffing synergies with other divisions, and streamline team staffing as needed;
- Mentor direct reports on performance improvement across the full spectrum of program management, business development, and practice management;
- Develop and recommend compensation decisions related to salary increases, promotions, bonuses, and other compensation.
Project Delivery and Technical Excellence
- Monitor performance of projects in the portfolio against workplans, deliverable schedules, and annual budget targets. Pro-actively intervene to anticipate and resolve challenges and implement improvements;
- Periodically interact with CORs, mission and Washington DC based client representatives to solicit feedback on project performance, and highlight key achievements;
- Oversee the successful delivery of E&I projects and other activities in collaboration with other DT Global business units worldwide;
- Link activities in the U.S., Europe and Asia-Pacific through coordination and information exchange related to project delivery, business development and thought leadership;
- Achieve financial performance in relation to project delivery targets, ensure achievement of project deliverables and performance per contract requirements and Agency reviews, and elevate and maintain DT Global reputation with key clients;
- Contribute to efforts to continuously strengthen project management systems and tools to improve delivery efficiency and effectiveness;
- Serve as advisory resource to engagement managers, COPs and project teams, as needed, in addressing complex project delivery challenges, and in guiding the execution of agreed solutions; and,
- Contribute to the identification and engagement of key project and headquarters talent.
Business Development and Revenue Growth
- Create a strategy for E&I business development activities from planning to execution in line with overall DT Global strategy and practice-level objectives;
- Develop robust relationships with existing and potential clients to position DT Global for new business;
- Consult and coordinate closely with the VP, Business Development and other Practice Area VPs and identify and allocate resources to ensure optimal allocation that enables achievement of overall corporate new business targets;
- Lead efforts in consultation with the VP, Business Development and other team members to develop and execute plans for capturing new business in line with bid board recommendations and decisions;
- Support development and improvement of overall DT Global business development processes and systems, including integration with business units in Europe and Asia-Pacific;
- Oversee development of a robust pipeline in line with DT Global US financial targets, global growth strategy, and priority counties;
- Identify and maintain a roster of high-quality consultants, potential COPs, and strategic partners; and,
- Participate in solution design sessions to ensure technical excellence, contribute to decisions on teaming and personnel, and serve as integrating or technical writer, where appropriate.
Thought Leadership, Outreach and Learning
- Lead efforts to enhance the DT Global brand with USAID and other key clients through thought leadership and knowledge management activities that capture and advance technical success and innovation in collaboration with the VP, Learning & Innovation;
- Represent DT Global externally and internally at all levels with current and new clients, partners, beneficiaries, and sub-contractors to build and extend relationships;
- Oversee efforts to leverage the global practice platform to capture technical achievements, best practices and lessons learned from project delivery for use in advancing thought leadership, developing knowledge projects and capturing learning and innovation;
- Develop annual outreach plans with resource allocations to disseminate technical achievements and advance DT Global’s technical reputation by organizing and/or participating in conferences and events, developing knowledge products and other outreach and dissemination tools;
- Oversee content development in collaboration with the Communications Team for external audiences, including reports, success stories, presentations, posters, blogs, videos and other multi-media forms, as well as resources for use in proposals;
- Support special global technical initiatives with other business units to advance thought leadership and innovation in collaboration with the Global VP, Learning & Innovation; and,
- Collaborate with DT Institute to develop pilot initiatives that advance innovation in ongoing projects or priority opportunities.
Education & Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, international relations, or a related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 20 years of hands-on international development experience, including managing and providing technical leadership in project delivery, and winning new business;
- At least 10 years of supervisory experience, preferably in both home and field office environments;
- At least 3 years of direct field experience implementing development assistance projects for USAID and other donors;
- Experience in one or more of the technical areas of the practice including , WASH, energy, climate change, infrastructure and environment;
- Demonstrated experience developing and operationalizing strategies, both technical and financial, to build a business and/or a practice area;
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting and advocating for diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives. Career path reflecting prioritization of workplace diversity, inclusion, and equity;
- Ability to successfully manage and work as part of teams in cross-cultural environments;
- Demonstrated ability leading teams winning new business for USAID projects;
- Prior experience recruiting, managing, and developing successful teams of managers, technical staff, and other development professionals at home and overseas;
- Demonstrated leadership in delivering a portfolio of quality programs as demonstrated by third party evaluations and USAID contractor performance assessment reports;
- Demonstrated experience writing winning technical proposals for USAID or other clients;
- Ability to multitask and work successfully under tight deadlines;
- Ability to travel internationally to meet with donors, project teams, and other partners
- Master’s degree in international development, international relations, or a related field
- Past experience leading programs in WASH, energy, climate change, infrastructure or environment
- Deep networks within USAID, implementing partners, and in-country partners
- Prior experience in the field as COP/DCOP on USAID funded programs in relevant technical areas
- Fluency in another language, preferably Spanish, French, or Arabic
- TEAMWORK: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals. Participates in building a culture characterized by inclusion, trust and commitment.
- COMMUNICATION: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts professionally. Demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
- ADAPTABILITY: Adjusts planned work by gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking to address multiple demands and competing priorities in a changing environment.
- CUSTOMER/CLIENT FOCUSED: Anticipates, monitors and meets the needs of customers and responds to them in an appropriate and responsive manner.
- DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: Conveys respect for diverse individuals and perspectives; models inclusive behavior and treats everyone fairly.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Displays appropriate and ethical behavior, integrity and personal presentation in the workplace always; demonstrates respectful communication for others, both verbal and non-verbal.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
DT Global, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or national origin. DT Global, LLC prohibits discriminating against employees and job applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant.